Coffee-holic here! I happily drink coffee twice a day. I got my Keurig 2.0 sometime around July 2016. Still one of the best purchases ever! I personally use the reusable coffee filter instead of K-Cups. There’s something about the taste of coffee grounds that I love. Below is a picture of my beloved coffee corner. Having a cute coffee station makes my mornings happy!
I never considered actually having to clean my Keurig. One day I was filling up my water reservoir, and I found mold inside. Mold. I was in pure shock. How long had that been there? How dirty is the inside?
Have you ever wondered how to clean a Keurig 2.0? I just took mine apart a few months ago. I scrubbed with a toothbrush and some Dawn. There was so much brown debris inside the Keurig from not cleaning it! I couldn’t believe my eyes. After a lot of research and time cleaning, it is finally clean.
I can’t imagine a day without coffee. I can’t imagine!
I have made a schedule of how and when to clean your Keurig 2.0. Pictures included!
(Feat. my cute coffee corner)
- The carafe needs to be washed after each use. (if you use one)
- Pour out all of the water from the water reservoir every other week. Give it a good scrub down with warm, soapy water. Let it air dry instead of wiping down with a clean towel. No one likes lint left behind!
- Remove the drip tray and wash with warm soapy water. This is not dishwasher safe!
- FIRST! Unplug the machine from the wall.
- Lift the handle and remove the K-Cup holder.
- Take a damp rag and wipe out this area.
- Disassemble the K-Cup holder into three pieces. Use some Dawn, warm water, and a toothbrush to clean all through the crevices. Don’t forget there will be a sharp needle in the K-Cup holder!
- Put everything back together.
- Dig out the orange pod you received with the Keurig to clean to needle. Fill it with warm water. Insert into the k-cup pod. Close and lift the handle to rinse the needle. Repeat 5 times. Take out the pod and pour out water.
- Plug your machine back in and power on. Use the dispense hot water option to fill 12oz of hot water to make sure the first cup isn’t filled with dirty water. Repeat as you feel necessary.
- Replace the water filter every other month. If you have the setting turned on, your machine will also let you know when it is time to replace it.
Every 3-4 Months
- It’s time to descale your machine! For this, you will need white vinegar or Keurig descaling solution. I will explain how to with white vinegar.
- Empty the water reservoir. Fill it with half white vinegar, half water.
- Use the ‘dispense hot water’ option to run the mixture through your machine. Continue to do so until the water reservoir is empty. I use a large measuring cup, that water is hot!
- Fill the reservoir back up with plain water at least 3 more times and continuously run it through your machine. You want to make sure there is no vinegar left inside your machine.
- Fix yourself a nice cup of coffee, you just worked really hard to clean that machine!
Now together on three, big sigh of relief! Phew. Your Keurig is clean!! I follow this schedule to ensure my coffee maker is forever clean. Get your coffee on!